Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Chapter 56

Cole had talked to coaches all over the state, trying to come up with any kind of weakness. Only one coach had found fault with Anson.

“Their uniforms are ugly,” the coach replied, then laughed much harder than Cole thought was necessary.

All the coaches responded with the same thing Cole saw on film. This was truly a great team with no weaknesses. You take the speed of Albion and the size of Honobia, combine those two into a team and it still would not match up with Anson.

Anson’s coach, Jerry “the Bull” Pitchford, called Thursday night. They were old friends from years before and that was the reason for the call, not to try and intimidate Cole or try to get any information.

“The more I see of your team, the more I like them,” Bull mentioned. “You guys just don’t quit and you don’t see that much anymore. Kids today are so spoiled and don’t want to give what it takes to win but your guys aren’t that way.

“Until I saw them on film, I didn’t know Honobia or Albion were so good. You guys sure didn’t have any cakewalk to get to the finals.”

“I don’t know what it would feel like to have a cakewalk,” Cole answered. “I think you guys have the market on that.”

“We’ve been very fortunate. But we haven’t faced the competition like you guys have. Summerfield was awful good, but I was glad to see you guys take them down. Their coach needs a lesson in manners.”

The two coaches bid their farewells, knowing they would have plenty of time to talk Saturday evening.

Cole was ready to go, tired of the waiting.

----------

Roughly a third of the population of Petros had left town by Friday evening, heading out on a road trip they hoped culminated with a state championship. There was a huge pep rally downtown that afternoon and most of the town's residents showed up.

This time, there were no worries of any problems from Hodgen. Every police officer in Petros was on duty, not that it was any huge detriment if problems started, but with over five hundred men walking around, keeping an eye on each other’s back and eyeing every suspicious vehicle, trouble would stay away this day.

Some politicians had to show up, of course, and tried making speeches, but soon figured out this was not the time or the place. The mayor was there, of course, along with the city council members, the school board members and state representatives and senators. They were glad for the opportunity to shake a few hands and make a few new friends who hopefully would remember them in the next election so the politicians would not have to get a real job.

The local state representative was itching for the opportunity to get at the microphone set up in front of city hall, constantly edging closer and trying to catch the eye of whichever speaker was currently using the object of his desire.

It was not a time for politics, most everybody knew that, but it was just the politician in him. He could care less about a silly football game, but that did not prevent him from dressing in black and white or from waving a little pom-pom which the representative hoped would get him a few votes to overcome the embarrassment of actually using the fluttering little thing.

The smile was always there, even as he continued to face the mounting disappointment of realizing nobody was going to ask him to say a few words. That was understandable since most of the people in the crowd knew those “few words” would multiply into many words as soon as the microphone was handed over.

The band’s music just blasted the downtown, the sound trapped against the buildings on both sides, making it louder than it ever had been. The superintendent and the mayor were the first to talk, but were smart enough to not use it to get across a political message. They knew why everybody was gathered together and it was not to hear them.

Instead, they talked of the pride the whole town felt about this group of student-athletes who bonded together both as a team and the town of Petros. The speeches were actually quite touching and heart-felt.

Several seniors made short speeches, talking about what this year meant to them and how they hoped to end it with the gold ball. They were not the most eloquent speakers, of course, and some mumbled, except when they thanked everybody for what this year meant to them.

The crowd roared “Petros Panthers” continuously, this noise also echoing around the downtown area, loud enough to be heard miles away. It was a sea of black and white, easily the largest crowd seen downtown since the Lion’s Club Fall Carnival in October.

Cole was scheduled to be the last speaker. When Kenneth asked him to come forward, Cole made it up on the large trailer used as a platform. Many of the seniors stood behind him, wearing the white shirts they would wear the following night.

He actually got a little choked up seeing all his guys up there, the ones who had been through the hard times and kept chugging on, leading this group to the state championship game. All their eyes were on him and his boys smiled at him as he took the microphone.

Cole looked out at the huge crowd. It was barely light enough now to see as the street lights on the corners did not provide much illumination to the center of the block. The Bank of Petros had all its lights on and the doors were open to help everybody see where they were going.

He saw his former players and students scattered throughout the crowd, along with parents, grandparents, brothers, sisters, cousins and friends. All the noise ended, waiting to hear what their coach had to say.

“Go Panthers!” he roared, raising his right arm.

That got a huge ovation as the crowd returned the salute. That was kind of neat, he decided, and did it again, getting the same reaction.

He let the noise settle down again, tempted to do the “Go Panthers!” thing again just cause it was cool. Sarah was standing toward his left at the edge of the crowd. Cole looked at her and smiled, enjoying the way she smiled back.

This was not everybody’s idea of a great date, but Sarah seemed to be having a great time.

“I can’t tell you how great this feels,” Cole declared. “We’ve been so blessed this year in so many ways and for that I give all the praise and glory to our Lord.”

Most of the crowd clapped loudly and hollered their support.

“God has been good to me and our boys this year,” he continued. “Sure, we’ve had to go through some hard times, everybody does. But He has stood there with us, always pouring down His mighty blessings on this team because of His love for us.

“Many people would probably say this is not the time for my testimony and they may be right. But I can assure you that my belief in a God above is real and none of us would be here without Him.”

Cole slowed down for a second to get his breath. He knew this was not what everybody wanted to hear but that was okay.

“This team has always tried to do the right thing in the right way,” he added. “Before every practice and game and then after it ends, we gather around together and pray. We don’t pray for wins as that comes from hard work and the blessings of our Master. I’ve always believed God gives you your best return, better than the stock market, the lottery or your pension plan.

“Whatever you give Him, He returns many times over. That’s something everybody in this audience needs to know and remember.”

Cole stopped to look at the reaction, seeing many people starting to get a little somber, which was not what he wanted.

“I’ve enjoyed coaching this group of guys as much as I have any team,” he continued. “I don’t want to take anything away from any of my other teams, but I’ve enjoyed this so much. I believe it would be impossible to find a better group of boys, especially in this day and age.

“There is a chemistry among this team like we’ve never had. I’ve had more talented teams and even a team or two which might win if there was some way to match them up, but no team has ever worn the black and white of this school with more guts, spirit and character. I guarantee you that.”

Cole was getting fired up, and saw the crowd was also getting up again.

“Back when we lost our first three games, I’d never predict this team would be where it is now. Yeah, we played three tough teams and lost those games, but many teams would’ve just thrown in the towel at that point. Did our guys? Nope, they just tore the towel up and got more determined. Now, look how far we’ve come. We’ve won eleven straight games and will be playing for the school’s first state championship about this time tomorrow night.

“I want everybody here to remember these boys and this moment. When we go through tough times, and all of us will at times, remember this team and how they came through the tough times with faith and hard work. That can get you through. I’m not gonna stand here tonight and promise a win tomorrow night. That’s not my style. But I can assure you we’ll do our best and nobody can ask for more.”

Cole turned around to see if his surprise was ready. A few of the players had gathered behind the trailer and nodded back at him.

“There’s somebody special I’d like to introduce now,” Cole announced. “This is a player who will not bang heads with a player from the other team tomorrow night. He’s frustrated me many times over the years, but we’ve dedicated this season and tomorrow’s game to him.”

Cole stepped back, as did several players, to reveal Garrett Long sitting in a wheelchair, also wearing his game jersey. It was the first time many had seen him since the accident and it took a second to recognize him. Garrett had lost a lot of weight, of course, and did not really look the same.

His body might be damaged, but not his mind. As the applause slowly started to grow, Garrett looked around at all the people, knowing all this clapping and hollering was for him. His eyes started to mist up, overcome by all this emotion. He felt his teammates touching him and supporting him, just like they had ever since the accident.

He saw Cole motion for him to come forward and say something. Garrett wanted to beg off, not knowing whether any words could even escape his mouth at this moment.

The noise kept rising and he knew everybody wanted him to say something, a stark contrast considering everybody used to wish he would keep his mouth shut.

His teammates slowly moved him forward and he did not resist. Garrett did not know if he could speak in front of this many people, but decided to give it a try.

Cole removed the microphone from the stand and handed it down. Garrett accepted it, holding it in his right hand.

He closed his eyes for a second, wishing the tears cascading down his cheeks would go away.

“You guys know I don’t deserve all this,” he began. “I’ve hurt many people and been a pain most of my life, you know that and I know that. I’ve done things I’m ashamed of and wish could be washed away. I didn’t just hurt one or two people, but hurt my teammates, my fellow students, teachers, coaches and especially my family.”

“To all of you, I want you to know how sorry I am and wish none of this ever happened. My life has changed over the last few weeks, and not just because I can’t use my legs anymore. I’ve reexamined pretty much everything and realized there needed to be a major overhaul. I was not the kind of person I needed to be to help others.

But I had this one visitor who just wouldn’t go away. He kept coming to see me, talking to me and counseling me. I don’t know why he did it. If anybody should have been happy about what happened to me, it should have been him. But whenever I felt down or needed somebody to talk to, he was there. He gave me my first Bible, showed me some of his favorite scriptures and sat with me for hours, talking to me and making sure I was okay.”

Garrett wiped away the tears with one hand and then grabbed the book in his lap for the strength it provided.

“I did some bad stuff to this guy, I can assure you that,” Garrett added. “I asked him why he was helping me and he said it was because that’s how we’re all supposed to treat each other. If you know somebody needs help, well, you should help them.

“We kept talking and grew closer. He helped me read the Sinner’s Prayer and led me to be saved, even called his pastor down to the church at midnight to make sure my soul was saved and all my sin was washed away. He didn’t have to do any of that, but I want him to know that while I’ll probably never walk beside him with these legs, that I will pay it forward.”

“I never knew what I wanted to do with my life until I laid in that hospital bed for so many hours and decided I need to dedicate my life to helping others. I know I haven’t said his name and know he wouldn’t want me to say who it was, but it was Lucky Lester.”

All the crowd turned to look in his direction. Lucky was standing with his teammates off to the side and started backing up, not wanting any attention. His teammates blocked his exit, holding him in his place.

Feeling trapped and seeing all the eyes upon him, Lucky waved and let it be. The crowd clapped and some hollered his name. Most people were not aware of the time he spent with Garrett and that was how Lucky wanted it. Lucky was now quite embarrassed, wishing everybody would start cheering again and thinking about Anson. He did not help Garrett for this. It just seemed the right thing to do. Everybody knew the kind of person Garrett was before the accident and how he treated Lucky.

But Lucky felt a special calling for his teammate and put the past behind him, hoping somehow to make a difference. Lucky knew he made a difference, as Garrett had few visitors other than family members.

They talked for hours, sometimes on important stuff, other times nothing more than discussions to pass the time. Garrett hated the hospital, of course, and hated being in a wheelchair. Lucky could not help him get out quicker or restore his legs, but did help Garrett see how his life could be different and how the problems might turn into assets.

Garrett’s bitterness started to fade away in the hospital. Lucky saw results every day that Garrett’s attitude was changing as he started reading the Bible like it was his calling in life.

Lucky was still young and had not done many things in his life, but was glad that in some way he touched Garrett’s life and might have made a difference.

When the applause finally died down, Garrett resumed speaking.

“I won’t be able to go to the game tomorrow night,” he added. “I’d love to be there but my doctor doesn’t believe I should go off that far. While I won’t be there in my body, I’ll be there in my spirit, every block, tackle, run and pass. I’m not gonna sit here and ask you to win one for me. That’d be very selfish. I ask you to win the game for all the coaches, players, students, parents and fans.

“We’ve surprised a lotta people this year and I hope we have one more stunner left. Go Panthers!”

The crowd roared again and even most of the men had to wipe away a little moisture from their eyes before anybody saw them.

Chapter 57

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home